Roasted Salmon Salad with Lemon, Feta, and Herbs
Roasting salmon makes it so juicy and flavorful, and placing that atop a hardy, delicious salad with a lemony vinaigrette - well that's what I call a soul-satisfying one-plate meal!
- 1 1/2 pounds Atlantic salmon skin removed
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Zaatar or dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 Serrano pepper with seeds sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 teaspoon capers with a splash of caper juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 small new potatoes
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh dill finely chopped, plus reserve several sprigs for serving
- 1/2 head of escarole leaves ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small carrots sliced on the diagonal
- 2 baby cucumbers sliced on the diagonal
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 ounces feta cheese broken into chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves torn
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water, cover and place it on a burner at medium high heat to boil.
Prepare the Salmon:
Place the salmon in a medium sized baking dish. Rub lemon zest, Zaatar, salt, and pepper all over the salmon. Scatter the bell and Serrano pepper slices around the salmon. Toss the capers and garlic on top, and drizzle everything with the oil. Pat and mix around with your fingertips to make sure everything is evenly coated.
Bake until the salmon is firm but still pink in the center, about 15 to 20 minutes or until desired doneness.
For the Salad:
Set a steamer basket in the pot filled with boiling water. Add the potatoes to the pot and cover. Steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the green beans on top of the potatoes, and cover. Steam them until tender but still crisp, around 4 to 5 minutes
Prepare the Vinaigrette:
Whisk oil, lemon, rice wine vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and dill in a small bowl. Toss the escarole with half of the dressing in a large bowl, then transfer to a serving platter. Toss the potatoes, green beans, carrots, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes with the remaining dressing in the bowl you just used, then arrange the vegetables over the top of the escarole.
Flake salmon into large pieces and arrange on the platter. Finish by scattering the peppers, feta, basil, and reserved dill sprigs over the entire dish.