Flavor-packed Comfort Food For Any Time of Year
Roasted Salmon With Citrus, Cherry Tomatoes, And Fennel
This rich luxurious dish provides you with bold pops of flavor and is lovely any time of year. It's particularly great in the summer though when you have an abundance of backyard produce like fresh cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or fennel.
- 1/2 lemon with the peel sliced thinly
- 1/2 orange with the peel sliced thinly
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 large fennel bulb cored and sliced thinly
- 1/2 large zucchini sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 2 scallions both white and green sections, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 Serrano chili sliced thinly seeds and all
- 5 dried apricots sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds center cut Atlantic salmon skin removed
- several sprigs fresh fennel fronds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Farenheit
- Slice, cut, and measure out the first nine ingredients and place on top of a 13 x 9 inch parchment-lined roasting pan.
- Add capers, dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of olive oil, and pour half of the oil over the top of the vegetable/fruit mixture. Blend well with a large spoon or with your hands.
- Place 4 pieces of salmon with skin removed on top of the vegetables/fruits. Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper, a little bit of dill, and some fennel fronds.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil over the fish until it is completely coated. Place some fruit and vegetables over the top of the fish to cover it up.
- Place the dish in the middle of the preheated oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Test after 30 minutes for doneness and to make sure the fish is moist but cooked through.
- Break up the fish with a spoon and scatter it on a platter amongst the veggies and fruit.