Spicy Sauciness And Very Versatile
Shrimp with Tomatoes and Calabrian Chili Sauce
Spicy, garlicky and packed with flavor, this seafood dish is perfect over sauteed greens, rice, or pasta. Feel free to swap out the shrimp with calamari, chicken, or even chickpeas or cannellini beans, as it's a very adaptable base that can work well with whatever protein you have available.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to saute the vegetables
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch slices then halved
- 2 scallions sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 2 tablespoons Calabrian chili peppers packed in oil with seeds, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons more of extra virgin olive oil to saute the shrimp
- 16 medium 16-20 sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley roughly chopped
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high flame. Add the oil to the pan, and briefly saute the garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and scallions to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are somewhat tender – about 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest, olives, capers, Calabrian chilis, and oregano. Mix thoroughly and cook for a minute or so more until vegetables are softened but still firm. Be sure not to over cook them. Remove the pan from heat and pour the vegetables and sauce mixture into a serving dish.
- Heat the frying pan back up over a medium high flame. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the shrimp to the pan in one layer and season with salt and pepper. Cook them for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until desired doneness.
- Mix the vegetables into the pan with the shrimp. Heat through and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the butter and drag it around the bottom of the pan until it melts. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour shrimp and vegetables into the serving dish and sprinkle the basil and parsley over the top.
- Serve with sauteed beet greens, spinach, Swiss chard, rice or pasta.