Wake Up Those Tastebuds!
Peach and Persian Cucumber Salad
Sweet, tart, herbaceous, and juicy, with a nice level of spicy heat, this salad has got it all!
- 1/2 large peach
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 2 scallions
- 2 stems of mint leaves removed and stems discarded
- 2 stems of basil leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- zest of one lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon Ume extract syrup or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Divide a peach in half and cut one half into chunky slices. Place it in a shallow serving dish. Place the other half in the fridge to use for something else.
- Cut the Persian cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices on the diagonal, and place in the dish with the peaches.
- Cut the scallions on the diagonal in 1/4 inch slices, and add them to the bowl.
- Scatter whole or torn mint and basil leaves over the top of the salad.
- Do the same with the sliced Serrano peppers.
- Crumble the feta into big chunks on top of that.
- Zest the lemon over the top of the salad, and season with salt, pepper, and za’atar. Set aside.
- Place the lemon and lime juices, Ume extract syrup, extra virgin olive oil, dark brown sugar, and fish sauce into a small bowl and whisk thoroughly. Serve dressing along side of the salad so people can help themselves.