A Feisty Vegetarian Go To
Hearty Bean Burgers
Whether on a toasted English muffin or along side your favorite big salad, these patties will become one of your favorite meatless meals.
- 1 can black beans rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds yellow or black and totally optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon Tapatio Sauce or one of your other favorite hot sauces
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 large eggs whisked
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the beans across a parchment lined sheet pan and sprinkle with the mustard seeds. Some say that mustard seed helps the body digest legumes. Not sure about that, but have been doing it for years and it seems to help.
- Bake the beans for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, mash with a potato masher, and leave to cool. Increase the heat on your oven now to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat, and saute the vegetables for a few minutes until softened. While cooking, season the mixture with salt and pepper, and stir to blend thoroughly. Set aside.
- Put the cooled beans into a large mixing bowl, saving the parchment and placing it back over the sheet pan. Add the cooled vegetables and the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix to combine. Season with a couple more shakes of salt and pepper if you are so inclined, and then mix and form into 1/3 cup patties with a measuring cup. Place the patties on the parchment lined sheet pan, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes on each side. You want them to be a nice golden brown color.
- Serve with your choice of bread or salad and don’t forget to whip up a batch of Spicy Yogurt Mayo Sauce from this site.