May I Have Another Please?
Roasted Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella Bruschetta
Creamy cheese, spicy Calabrian chili butter, and a burst from juicy, garlicky cherry tomatoes makes this my new favorite appetizer. Feel free to swap out the buffalo mozzarella with goat cheese, feta, or ricotta – any of those would work well.
- 6 slices sourdough baguette that have been cut on the diagonal into half inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed Calabrian hot chili peppers I used TUTTOCALABRIA brand for this last batch
- 1 clove garlic mince half and leave the other half whole
- 4 oz of room temperature buffalo mozzarella sliced thinly I used about half of a ball of Buf Creamery Mozzarella Di Bufala Ovaline
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Roasted Cherry Tomatoes from this site at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- Melt the butter in the microwave, and add 1/2 the garlic clove, minced, reserving the other half for later, the crushed Calabrian chili peppers, and a little sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste. Mix and set aside.
- Heat your oven up on broil.
- Place the bread slices on a sheet pan. Brush one side of the bread slices with olive oil and toast them under the broiler until nicely tanned and maybe a little bit charred on the ends. Remove the pan from the oven and turn the slices over. Brush about half of the chili garlic butter over the top of the other side, and broil the toasts until they are tanned and maybe a little bit charred. Remove from the oven, and rub the olive oil side of all the toasts with the remaining half clove of garlic. Save the rest of that garlic for another time.
- Top the toasts with the cheese, and add a wee bit more salt and pepper, then top each toast with about 2 tablespoons of the roasted tomato mixture. Sprinkle the top with torn basil leaves, and drizzle with the rest of the chili garlic butter.
- Serve immediately.