A Cozy Autumn Dessert To Warm Your Heart
Spicy Apple Crostata
A scrumptious and delicately spiced free-form fruit tart to help you ring in the fall season!
- 1 pie crust 9 inch
- 5 Honeycrisp Apples peeled, halved, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons pistachios ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly with your hands, and set aside.
- On a floured cutting board, roll out the dough making a 12 inch in diameter circle that is about 1/8 of an inch thick. It doesn't have to be a perfect circle. It is supposed to be a bit rustic looking.
- Roll the edge of the dough onto the rolling pin and lift it above and roll it onto the parchment paper lined pan.
- Mound the apple mixture into the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of dough around the edges. Dot the apple mixture with the unsalted butter cubes evenly over the mound.
- Bring up the sides of the dough over the top of the apple mixture, leaving a large somewhat circular opening in the center of the tart. Press your hands firmly around the whole base of the tart to give it a more solid form.
- Mix the egg with the half and half. Brush the egg wash over the crust, and sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is nicely tanned and the apples are cooked but not mushy.
- Remove the tart from the oven, and set it out on a wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle the top with pistachios.
- Serve with vanilla mascarpone, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.